Are you looking for houses for sale in Florida? However, you want more information about the nearest hospitals, utilities, schools, restaurants, and local services.
Check it here:
Discover the City of Tampa
Tampa is a city on the Gulf Coast of the U.S. state of Florida. Tampa is the largest city in the Tampa Bay area and the seat of Hillsborough County.
With a population of 384,959 according to the 2020 census, Tampa is the third-most populated city in Florida after Jacksonville and Miami and is the 52nd most populated city in the United States.
Tampa was formally reincorporated as a city in 1887, following the Civil War. Today, Tampa’s economy is driven by tourism, health care, finance, insurance, technology, construction, and the maritime industry. The bay’s port is the largest in the state, responsible for over $15 billion in economic impact.
The city is part of the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area which is a four-county area composed of roughly 3.1 million residents, making it the second-largest metropolitan statistical area (MSA) in the state and the fourth largest in the Southeastern United States, behind Washington D.C., Miami, and Atlanta. The Greater Tampa Bay area has over 4 million residents and generally includes the Tampa and Sarasota metro areas.
- Tampa is not huge. The Greater Tampa Bay is. The population of the city of Tampa is a little over 407,000 people. The Greater Tampa Bay area houses 10 times more people – over 4 million residents. This includes the Tampa and Sarasota metro areas
- Tampa functioned as a military center during the 19th century with the establishment of Fort Brooke.
- The cigar industry was also brought to the city by Vincente Martinez Ybor, after whom Ybor City is named.
- After Jose Martí was invited to speak at Ybor City’s revolutionary clubs in 1891, he fell in loved with Tampa and its people, and called the city “El Pueblo Fiel” (The Faithful Town). Jose Marti dedicated himself to the Cuban struggle for independence. In 1892, he founded the Cuban Revolutionary Party and drafted its basic principles in Tampa
- Florida became the 27th state on March 3, 1845.
- In the late 1880’s Tampa became the “Cigar Capital of the World
- The biggest recent growth in the city was the development of New Tampa, which started in 1988 when the city annexed a mostly rural area of 24 sq mi (62 km2) between I-275 and I-75.
- After decades of trying to lure an existing Major League Baseball franchise, the Tampa Bay area finally gained a team in 1998, when the expansion Tampa Bay Devil Rays began play at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg.
- The NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning was established in 1992 and play their home games at Amalie Arena in downtown Tampa.
- Tampa is home to a gigantic ship museum. The U.S. has four operational World War II ships. One of them goes by the name of American Victory Ship. Authorities turned it into a museum.
- The world’s first passenger flight took place in Tampa Bay. On the first day of 1914, the first passenger flight worldwide took off from St. Petersburg and landed about 17 mi (27 km) away – in Tampa.
- The oldest restaurant in Florida is in Tampa. Columbia Restaurant in The Ybor City is actually a holder of two records. It’s not only the oldest restaurant in the state of Florida. It’s also the world’s largest Spanish restaurant. Its various dining rooms can seat more than 1,700 people.